9.03.2017

dimland radio 9-2-17 show notes

Welcome To High School And Welcome To The Curb

I still feel so stupid. More on that in a moment.
Thursday night was a welcome freshmen and parents to their new school. My son Hayden starts high school on Tuesday. My wife and I are a little nervous about it, but I'm sure he'll do his best. I didn't talk much about the presentation to the parents (the kids were sent off to some other part of the school).
I did note an odd perceptual thing, at least on my part, when looking at people standing at the front of an auditorium. It might just be me, but those people tend to look taller than they are. Is it just me?
It was what happened after the event at the school that made the night a royal pain in the ass and made me feel so stupid. On the way home I took a slight detour to show Amy and Hayden something. It was pretty much on the way, so I figured why not.
Getting back to our route home, my attention was not as sharp as it should have been. I was concentrating on the oncoming traffic during a turn onto the on ramp for the Interstate. I didn't notice I had cut the corner just a bit too sharp.

WHAM!

I hit the curb dead on with the front driver's side tire. The tire blew out.

So, god damn stupid.

Guest Appearances Of Other Podcasts

A couple weeks or so back, I participated in a group discussion of filmmaker George Romero. The discussion was on The Assault Of The Two-Headed Space Mules podcast, hosted by my friend Douglas Arthur. He had enough material to split it into two parts. Please check them out.

The other podcast was more recent. It's called A Topic A Month and is hosted by Adin Briggs who resides in Duluth, MN. Or as Minnesotans call it: Dah-loot. Adin had me on for about an hour to discuss conspiracy theories from a skeptical angle. Please check it out.

Yes, You Have The Right, But There May be Consequences

Tuesday morning the local free weekly newpaper, Cities Pages, broke a story about the owner of a bar in Minneapolis' North Loop section having donated $500 to the 2016 Senatorial campaign of David Duke. Yes, that David Duke.

That news has had a ripple effect. Part of which is the MN Skeptics group will be taking our business elsewhere for our monthly meet-ups. For the past six to seven years the MN Skeptics have headed to Club Jager, after having dinner at Be'Wiched, a way cool deli that has been very good to us. None of the members of MN Skeptics wishes to remain patrons of Club Jager.

We feel badly for the employees of the bar. We never got any hint of the apparent attitude of the owner from any of the staff. Most of them were very cool. (There is a blog from almost ten years ago telling stories of some racial and anti-Semitic troubles by patrons with the bar seeming to look the other way.) But we needn't have worry. By the closing time Thursday night, the entire staff had quit.

The owner remarked that he was exercising his right to donate money to whomever he wished. True. He can do that. The $500 just cost him a whole lot more, because his staff and patrons are exercising their rights.


Pedantic Moment: To Serve Man

I blogged about this at Warehouse Find, the official blog of Nostalgia Zone. It occurred to me earlier in the week that an episode of the classic television sci-fi series The Twilight Zone offers a couple pretty worthy Pedantic Moments.

Read here to get those moments.

Top Three Cool Things Of The Week


Here are the Top Three Cool Things from this week.

3) Victims of the "satanic panic" of the 1990s, Dan and Fran Keller served 21 years in prison for satanic ritual abuse of children in their day care. They were innocent. They have been released and received $3.4 million.

2) I found an excellent source online for identifying fake news on the internets.

1) MN Skeptics taking their business elsewhere and the staff of Club Jager deciding their principles were more valuable than their jobs.

Movie Recommendation: None

I ran out of time, so you are on your own this week.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Tabazan' by Killing Joke & 'Homebreakers' by The Style Council
Second ad break bumpers: 'Entre Nous' by Rush & 'Respectable Street' by XTC
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment