10.08.2017

dimland radio 10-7-17 show notes

The Triumphant Return Of Dimland Radio

Yet another mass shooting has grabbing our attention. This time in Las Vegas. This time, it is said, it's the worst mass shooting in modern American history. This time it was carried out by an older, wealthy, white man.
 
I don't have any answers as to why this happens or why America has such a probably with gun violence. I don't know how to stop it. I have no interest in owning a gun and, though I can understand the position of those who wish to get rid of the 2nd Amendment, I am a supporter of the Bill of Rights.
 
I talked about the stupid argument about the Framers of our Constitution could only have had flintlocks, muskets, and pistols in my when they wrote that 2nd Amendment. Really, that's just a dumb argument. Don't make it.
 
I talked about my initial reaction when seeing the news on Monday morning. And, of course, the portrait format amateur video reared it's ugly head again. I noted something a little humorous about one of those amateur videos. I also talked about that fellow who attended the concert and stood and gave the finger to the shooter while being shoot at. Well, not exactly while being shot at. Still, a pretty defiant dude
 
And I got into this whole tendency of law enforcement and news media to call this guy a terrorist. Is there a racial component to that tendency? Possibly. I extend a small benefit of the doubt to the Sheriff in Las Vegas, but according to the legal definition of acts of terror Nevada law, that mass shooting was an act of terror. The "lone wolf" sort, but still terror.
Image was mentioned on the show.

You Picked The Wrong Guy, Mr. Scammer
 
I accepted a friend request from a fellow on Facebook. I pretty much accept any friend request that is sent to me. I might want to rethink that. So, immediately after making this new FB friend a message from him popped up.
 
He was trying to hook me into an internet scam. Not gonna work on this skeptic, pal.

Pedantic Moment: The Picture Isn't Helping
 
Sorry about the poor quality. Picture was taken with my flip phone.

I spotted a page of a magazine posted on an office wall the other day. It was a full page photograph with a caption meant meant to inspire. The caption was quoting an African proverb: "If you to go fast, go alone. If you want go far, go together."
 
 
That's a nice sentiment. However, the image in the photo is of a competitive rowing team carrying their boat into the water. Can you guess my pedantry?

Hint: Is the goal of competitive rowing to go fast or far?
 
Top Three Cool Things Of The Week

Here are the Top Three Cool Things from this week.

3) The MN Twins made it into the postseason. They are the first team in baseball history to lose 100 or more (103) in one season and make the playoff the next. Of course, there is an ARGH involved, because the Hated Yankees, once again, bounced the Twins right away. That's five times in the last six times the Twins made the postseason that the Hated Yankees have done this.

2) The MN Lynx won the WNBA Championship. This was their fourth title in seven years. There's one team in Minnesota that knows how to win it all.

1) Penn Jillette accepted my apology for being an asshole. You'll have to listen to get the story.

Movie Recommendation: None

I ran out of time, so you are on your own this week.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Every Word Means No' by Let's Active & 'I Want You Back' by Hoodoo Gurus
Second ad break bumpers: 'Stop Hurting People' by Pete Townshend & 'Soul In Isolation' by The Chameleons UK
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment