12.16.2017

dimland radio 12-16-17 show notes

Slowly I Turn

I started the show by talking about vaudeville, the old time variety shows held in theaters across America. Vaudeville was the precursor to shows such as The Carol Burnett Show, The Donny & Marie Show, The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour, etc. There would be singing acts, jugglers, acrobats, one act plays, and comedy routines.
 
One such comedy routine involves the phrase, "Slowly I turn..." It's a sketch about a jilted lover who gets violent whenever he hears a certain word or phrase and he beats up an innocent stranger.
 
The Three Stooges do a version called Niagara Falls.
 
Well, I've picked up the phrase "slowly I turn" and I use it whenever I think I'm done doing tasks for the day, but one more thing has to get done.
 
A Refresher On Homeopathy
 
 
The comic strip above demonstrates that homeopathic medicine has nothing in it. The kid could eat a hundred bottles off those pills and still be fine.
 
I shared the image on Facebook and a friend took umbrage with it. I think they may have been equating homeopathy with herbal medicine. I explained the if a remedy has been prepared using the methods of homeopathy, diluting the solution to the extreme, the chances of there being a molecule of the active ingredient is zero. Homeopaths believe the water used in making the solution "remembers' the active ingredient and forgets everything else that had been in it.
 
It's magic, not medicine.
 
There are a couple videos demonstrating the homeopathic method using vodka and bleach.
 
Some On The Left Are Slut-Shaming
 
I take those few people on the Left of the political spectrum who seem to think it's OK to slut shame Melania Trump and Leeann Tweeden to task. A small segment of folks on the Left have been sharing images from those two women's modelling past. The images are sexy, nude or semi-nude, and, somehow, that means Melania only married our child president for his money and the Tweeden is somehow ineligible to make accusations of sexual harassment or assault.
 
Really? Aren't we supposed to believe the victims?
 
Pedantic Moment: Mad Men And Go Fish
 
In a scene from season four of Mad Men, a child psychiatrist and a child are playing Go Fish. I noticed that neither of them was playing the game properly.

Top Three Cool Things Of The Week

Here are the Top Three Cool Things from this week.
 
3) My wonderful wife got the in-laws' old couch off the porch, so now we have room to...
 
2) ...put up the Christmas tree. This is the second year of me putting the tree on the porch. I thought I wouldn't be able to this year, but my Honey Bunny came through. And...
 
1) She has also been going through her parents stuff. She found a copy of Sports Illustrated dated November 4, 1991. Why is that cool? Just take a gander at the cover.
 
 
Movie Recommendation: The Senator Was Indiscreet (1947)

Universal Pictures
This was recommended by one of the Minnesota Skeptics. It's interesting and amusing political comedy, but there's a very racially insensitive scene involving Native Americans in the first ten minutes. Very cringe inducing.
 
William Powell, best known for his role as Nick Charles in The Thin Man film series, plays a not-too-bright Senator who just might be President soon. He keeps a diary with some very damning information that could ruin several political careers, including his own, if the contents were ever made public. As the title notes, the Senator is not very discreet with the diary and it goes missing.
 
There is a notable cameo that fans of The Thin Man films will appreciate.
 
You can watch the entire film here.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Achin' To Be' by The Replacements & 'Mea Culpa' by Brian Eno & David Byrne
Second ad break bumpers: 'Mescal Dance' by Red Lorry Yellow Lorry & 'I Don't Know Why You Don't Want Me' by Rosanne Cash
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment