12.30.2017

dimland radio 12-30-17 show notes

Legitimate Complainer Or Lazy Ass

Up there in Canadaland, a fellow living in a corner house has been putting up with snow plows leaving piles of snow across the front of his driveway for the four years now.
 
Um, yeah. That's what happens in winter. Homeowners usually then grab a shovel and clear it away. That's what this fellow's neighbors appear to have done in the news report at this link. But the man is upset with the city and, from what I can gather, he wants the city to clear the pile away. The problem with the report is that we don't get enough information. We don't hear from the neighbors, so we don't learn how much snow was left in front of their driveways.

It's hard to know for sure if the man has a legitimate complaint or if he's just a lazy ass.
 
A Reason I Don't Care For Musicals
 
There are a few reasons why I generally don't care for musicals. You can blame most of them on my pedantry, but the other day I became aware of another reason: The musical numbers can slow down the pace of a movie. I realized that when I watched the movie that is my recommendation. Not a ringing recommendation, but it's all right.
 
A Little Mad Men Talk
 
I finished watching the AMC series Mad Men this past week. (It's streaming on Netflix.) I'm not sure how much I liked the show, but I didn't hate it. It's well written and acted. The characters are complex and complicated. Some are likeable even if they are assholes. I lost count of all the times I called the main character Don Draper an asshole. It was a lot.
 
Settle Down
 
So, some video of a blob in the sky was released and the UFOers are all atwitter. And there's some related news about a government program that investigated anomalous sightings of objects in the sky to assess potential threats to national security. But, really, that's not much to get excited about.
 
Seven Not Really Banned Words
 
"Vulnerable," "entitlement," "diversity," "transgender," "fetus," "evidence-based," and "science-based" are words that haven't exactly been banned by the Centers for Disease Control. But their use is being discouraged if funding from a conservative congress is to be garnered for science projects. It is troubling, but it's not a ban.
 
Pedantic Moment: Raiders Of The Lost Ark (1981) & The Fly (1986)
 
I get a bit pedantic about two movies:
 
My pedantry about Raiders was inspired by the very funny Dana Gould and was, so I was told, supported by the very unfunny Big Bang Theory. I'm sure you know the movie, so think about it: Was Indy really necessary in keeping the Ark out of the hands of the Nazis?
 
Then I dug into The Fly and its very inaccurate portrayal of science. But, really, my pedantry was aimed at the disappointment Jeff Goldblum's character feels when he has to admit, early on, that his teleportation device came only transport inanimate objects.
 
Um. That would still change the world and make him tremendously famous and wealthy.

Top Three Cool Things Of The Week

Here are the Top Three Cool Things from this week.
 
3) Sea smoke. It's a weather phenomenon that can occur over large bodies of water when the conditions are right. It's a massive fog bank. I first heard of it this past week.
 
Duluth News Tribune
2) This undoubtedly freaked out the chemtrail conspiracy people, but the rest of us were impressed by the awesomeness of the contrail that followed a SpaceX rocket launch just a few days ago.

1) It was Christmas. Yes, I'm an atheist. I still think Christmas is pretty cool.
 
Movie Recommendation: Scrooge (1970)
 
Cinema Center Films
 
It's not my favorite version, but there's a certain fascination about it. It's musical, which makes it a little challenging for me, but a couple songs are OK. It stars Albert Finney as Scrooge and features Alec Guiness as Jacob Marley's ghost. And there's a scene in hell. That's always cool.
 
You can watch the entire film here.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'C'est Comme Ca' by Les Rita Mitsouko & 'Only You' by Yaz
Second ad break bumpers: 'Let's Get Married' by Celibate Rifles & 'Dear John' by Au Pairs
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment