7.28.2018

dimland radio 7-28-18 show notes


Why No New Show?
A brief explanation as to why there wasn't a new show last week. I was sick. I did put a bonus episode into the iTunes feed that was an interview with skeptic Ben Radford, originally played on 6-11-11. 

A Couple Follow-Ups

In the show notes for the 7-14-18 show, I made the clarifications for the information I didn't have in my show prep. On this show, I make them again: Pittsburgh Pirates and Keith Jackson. Listen and it will make sense.

And that fellow I saw do a dance on the freeway during a traffic stand still may have been inspired by this Shiggy/Drake Challenge thing.

Attitudes Changes Over The Decades

Pres. Trump has a way about him. It's not a good way. The reaction to his summit with Putin was predictable on the part of his detractors, but a little surprising (and encouraging) on the part of his fellow members of the Republican party.

I also noted the change in attitude toward the Russians and intelligence gatherers over the decades.

Pres. George W Bush was vilified by some, in part, because he believed his intelligence people. Trump is vilified by some of those same types of people for not believing his. Pres. Reagan had everyone worried because he wasn't friendly enough with the Soviets and Gorbachev, while Trump has everyone disgusted for being too friendly with the Russians and Putin. 

The Mandela Effect And We Are The Champions

An example of the Mandela Effect (lots of people remembering a historical event or something similar incorrectly) is Queen's song We Are The Champions. The studio version does not end with the words "of the world." But, plenty of people think that's how the song ends.

However, are they really remembering it incorrectly? I found something that suggests there is a good reason people think the song ends with the words.
The trailer to the upcoming biopic on Queen and Freddie Mercury gives a clue. 

Dimland Radio Science Hero: Penn & Teller
 
I know I've talked about Penn & Teller's brilliant intro for their Penn & Teller: Bullshit show on the anti-vax movement. I can't remember if I official declared them science heroes for that bit, so I rectified that on this show. Their skeptical series may have gotta a thing or two wrong, for the most part they did a fine job. And the anti-vax opener is fantastic. Worthy of science hero status on its own. 

Dimland Radio Science Zero: Penn Jillette


And then I taketh away.

Ever since Penn went public about how he lost over a hundred pounds, I've been uncomfortable with his blind spot on the skepticism surrounding the claims of vegan diets and water fasts. Well, as Penn & Teller once said, "Everybody got a gris gris." A belief unsupported by or contradicted by scientific evidence that they just can't let go.

This blind spot seems to be Penn's gris gris.

Yes, he's lost a lot of weight and he's been keeping it off, but he's been promoting people who have been discredited by medical science. Orac of Respectful Insolence (an actual doctor) reviewed Penn's interview of water fast diet guru Dr. Michael Klaper. Orac disputes, with science, the claims made by Klaper and he voiced his disappointment at Penn, a skeptic, giving an unfettered platform to such an astounding claim maker.

Well, everybody got a gris gris.

Some Talk About The Maltese Falcon 

It's a given that I recommendation everyone who loves movies to watch the 1941 version of The Maltese Falcon. It's a fantastic film.

I talked about the subtle and not-so-subtle hints that a character or two in the film were gay. I wrote about that in my weekly blog at Warehouse Find.


I also compared the 1941 film to the very inferior 1931 version. That one has some eyebrow raising moments related to the nature of Pre-Code Hollywood, but that's about all that is interesting about that film.

Well, there was one other interesting thing... 

Dimland Radio Pedantic Moment: Sam Spade's Calendar

In the 1931 version of The Maltese Falcon in the opening scene we see a wall calendar in the background showing the date to be the fifth, but as the scene continues we are told that the first of the month is only two weeks away.
What's the date on that calendar?
So, either someone wasn't paying attention to that calendar or Spade has a really poor grasp of time. 

Three Cool Things

1) It was a good week on social media for me. My post about The Maltese Falcon and the hints at homosexuality sparked a lively conversation.


2) My latest piece of art for the comic store Nostalgia Zone turned out really well. It's not as good as the Basil Gogos illustration I was paying homage to, but I'm very pleased with it.

3) My wonderful wife found a bin filled with art, including a page of original comic book art. It's the only one I own. I feared it lost, but she found it.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'A Man Of Such Great Promise' by The Style Council & 'Lay All Your Love On Me' by ABBA
Second ad break bumpers: 'Little America' by REM & 'Scarecrow People' by XTC
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment