7.14.2018

dimland radio 7-14-18 show notes


This Again?
Yeah, again. I'll try to make this the last I ask people (I'm looking at you, Seth Meyers) to stop spreading the myth the Pres. Trump stared at the sun when observing last year's solar eclipse. He glanced.
Photo credit: Getty Images
It was prompted this latest time when the above image made its way around social media and a Facebook friend mentioned the eclipse moment and she called the glance a stare. I couldn't stop myself when I had a Pedantic Moment to remind my FB friends that despite his dimwittedness, he didn't stare at the sun.

A fairly prominent skeptic challenged me to watch the video footage again. He contended that that look at the sun was longer than a glance. So, I timed it. If the time I got doesn't qualify as a glance, then there is no such thing as a glance. 

Pedantic Moment: Alex Trebek & The 3 P's

Colonial Penn offers people of a certain age and up affordable life insurance and for years Jeopardy's Alex Trebek has been their spokesperson. The latest ad has Trebek telling viewers about the three P's of Colonial Penn life insurance: Price, Price, and Price.

However, I found reason to be pedantic...

Baseball And The Fans


With Major League Baseball's All-Star Break upon us, I decided to talk baseball for the rest of the show. My angle was to talk about how over-exuberant fans have had an influence in the game. In one case (Merkle's Boner), they caused a player to make a base-running mistake with postseason implications, which he never lived down. The second instance (Chris Chambliss' ALCS winning home run in 1976) led to a rule change. The third (Hank Aaron breaking Babe Ruth career home run record) was how fans may have caused a legend of the game a moment of fear.

The third team in pursuit of the pennant was the Pittsburgh Pirates, not the Philadelphia Athletics. And the broadcaster who called the game in which Chris Chambliss hit the home run was Keith Jackson.


Three Cool Things

3) I watched a garage collector reposition a fallen trash bin by giving it a tap with the mechanical arm used to pick up and dump trash into the truck. That person had some mad skills. I was impressed. 

2) When stuck in traffic the other night, fellow hopped out of the backseat of a car in front of me and did an impromptu dance. It gave me quite a chuckle.

1) There's video of a college baseball player making an impressive catch, but it looks odd to me. Two very smart friends on mine were able to examine the video and explain to me that though it may have looked weird, it was real.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Above It Now' by Figures & 'Saved By Zero' by The Fixx
Second ad break bumpers: 'Eliminator Jr.' by Sonic Youth & 'Bonneville' by The dB's
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment