7.07.2018

dimland radio 7-7-18 show notes



Driving A Deathtrap
 
This is the passenger side.  
 
This is the driver's side.
 
The pictures show just how rusted out a couple pretty important parts of our van's suspension system are. I took in it for an oil change and brought it home to junk it.

Yikes!

Iffy Sponsors Of Podcasts

If you listen to podcasts as often (or more) than I do, you are undoubtedly familiar with the products and services that are advertised. They are pretty common across most podcasts. I first talked about a couple older ones: Work From Home, which was actually Herbalife, a multi-level marketing scam, and Lumosity, a brain training game scam.

Now there are two more iffy sponsors: Care Of, a subscription vitamin service that tailors its vitamin packs just for you. All you have to do is fill out an online survey about your diet, health, and lifestyle. Um, wouldn't a visit to an actual doctor be the most important part of determining if you require a vitamin supplement? (Hint: The answer is YES!!!)

The other is Lunyas Restore Sleepwear. This sponsor claims that their Restore Sleepwear has some mineral mixture that re-energizes your body as you sleep. (Sleep also re-energizes your body when you sleep.) They even claim the this sleepwear increases your oxygen level. Huh? How?

Sniff. Sniff. Sniff.

Do you smell that? It smells like bullshit.

Dimland Radio will never accept a paid sponsor that peddles nonsense. (Of course, with my download numbers, my show having a paid sponsor is highly unlikely.)

Star Wars: The Last Jedi Is...

...my favorite of all the Star Wars movies! I liked it from the first time I saw it and I didn't understand why so many "fans" hated it so much. Recently I've gained an even deeper appreciation for just how layered and significant this film is for the franchise. The outrage fans be damned!

I gained this deeper understanding by watching Maj0r Lee's thoughtful, if a little overlong, video reviewing the film and disputing the outraged reactions. It's 48 minutes long (Maj0r Lee could have trimmed some of the outraged "fan" clips), but it just might get you to appreciate the way it got me to.

Watch it here. Warning! There are spoilers (duh!) and plenty of F-bombs.

And since Star Wars: The Last Jedi is streaming on Netflix (not for free), I'll make it my movie recommendation.

Three Cool Things
 
Chomp!
3) The classic 1975 horror/action/adventure/thriller Jaws has become a tradition of mine to watch it on the 4th of July. The images (above) show how the Alex Kinter attack scene was originally intended to show the shark, but the mechanical shark didn't work very well and the scene would have been a reveal too early in the film. I also mentioned a YouTube video that shows the storyboards for the title sequence and attack on Christie scene (it also has the storyboards for the Alex Kinter attack). So cool!

A Dimland Radio Pedantic Moment: This Little Needle Through The Shark's Skin Scene

Since, I was already talking about Jaws, I figured I might as well discuss a moment of pedantry I have with the scene that has Quint doubting the little needle of a syringe loaded with poison would penetrate the shark's thick skin. Hooper said it wouldn't, so he would have to get it in its mouth or eye. Here's the scene, you should be able to spot my pedantry.
 
"Cor! Blimey! Blink and you'll miss me!"
2) I returned to the Three Cool Things segment with something I had just learned about my beloved HBO series Band Of Brothers. I have watched this series at least once a year for many years and I never knew Tom Hanks, who was an executive producer and directed one episode, made two cameos in the series. One was as a British soldier (see above) in episode five Crossroads, which Hanks directed. And, in episode nine Why We Fight as a French officer who summarily executes three German soldiers (see below).
 
Yep. That's Hanks.
1) Brian Dunning, of the Skeptoid podcast, also has a YouTube video series called InFact. His most recent is about how the collapse of Building 7 on 9/11 really doesn't look and sound like a controlled demolition.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'He Stopped Loving Her Today' by George Jones & 'A Pagan Place' by The Waterboys
Second ad break bumpers: 'Telegram Sam' by Bauhaus & 'Blue Bell Knoll' by Cocteau Twins
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment