10.27.2018

dimland radio 10-27-18 show notes


Two Distractions

I explained at the top of the show that there were two distractions I was battling on this week's show.
 
One was a persistent cough and dry throat that I have been experiencing for the last couple of weeks or so. Cough drops helped me through the show with a minimum of throat clearing and a cough or two.
 
The other was the longest postseason baseball game in the history of the majors. Game 3 of the 2018 World Series between the Boston Red Sox and the L.A. Dodgers. The damn thing went 18 inning and last about seven hours and 20 minutes. I had the game on (with the sound down) as I recorded the show, so there are a few updates to be heard.
 
What? No Love For Mary Hart?

During each World Series game, Fox likes to take some time to show which celebrities are attending the game. This postseason, in the games that take place at Dodger Stadium, behind home plate has been Entertainment Tonight's legendary host Mary Hart. However, she never gets any mention from Fox announcer Joe Buck.
 
I guess she's chopped liver. 

There's Mary mocking Boston reliever Craig Kimbrel. And that really old fellow next to the old fellow on Mary's right? That's Larry King.
I Would Say Something Happened This Past Week

Someone had been sending pipe bombs through the mail to prominent liberals throughout America  (George Soros, the Obamas, the Clinton, Robert de Niro, and others) and to one news organization which is considered to be very liberal itself (CNN). A suspect named Cesar Sayoc Jr. has been apprehended and taken into custody.
 
Let the anomaly hunting begin!
 
Even before the suspect was caught, the conspiracy theorists were hard at work searching for anomalies that would show the standard model explanation, whatever it turned out to be, would be considered a lie. A "false flag."
 
The energy of a conspiracy theorist is endless.

It's Not True: Crowds At Trump Rally In Texas

Yep. That's me setting the record straight.
I have a Facebook friend who is a big supporter of Pres. Trump. They post all kinds of pro-Trump memes, many of which have a tenuous grasp on truthfulness. This past week they posted a picture of a crowded downtown area that was claimed to show the multitude lining up for a Trump rally in Texas (see image).
 
Turns out the picture shows the massive crowds of Cavalier fans who lined up to witness the parade for the 2016 NBA Champs. In Cleveland.
 
Not Texas. Not Trump.
 
Fake news.

A Couple Phone Scams

If you get a phone call from your grandchild pleading for money, because they'd been injured in a car accident, please, ask a few questions to make certain they are who they say they are. Chances are, it's a scam.
 
I'm proud to say my father is skeptical enough to see right through that scam.
 
There's another one in which the IRS calls and demands immediate payment for back taxes or they'll send the police. If you get that call, please, tell them to get ahead and send the police. It's a scam. The IRS doesn't call people demanding money.

A Mind Reading Trick That Had Me Flummoxed

I had a coworker attempt to convince me she could read my mind. She asked me a series of questions each of which she had predicted my answers. She would write down her prediction of my answer and then ask the question.
 
She was right every time!
 
I was flabbergasted. I was certain it was a trick, but I couldn't figure out what she was doing. And, of course, she wouldn't tell me. I called a friend who I thought might know he did.
 
Over the years, my friend and I have forgotten the details of the trick. I reached out to mentalist Mark Edward, who was able to let me know what the trick was. She used a variation of the One Ahead Trick. I don't recall how she started the trick, but she would actually be writing down the answer I just gave her, pretending to write down the answer to the next question, which she hadn't asked yet.

The trick involves a force of some kind. Writing the answer she knew the answer to beforehand. She really had me going. 

Three Cool Things
 
Mark Edward
1) Having Mark Edward, a very talented mentalist and well-known skeptical activist, take the time to help me out is darn cool Thank you very much, Mr. Edward! 10 points!
 
2) The World Series is in full swing. (Hey! A sports pun!) And that is always cool.
 
3) It being so close to Halloween, I had to at least mention my favorite holiday. I talked about an old horror show that was on local TV in the 70s. It was called Horror Incorporated and its open and close were creepy cool! I blogged about at Warehouse Find, the official blog of Nostalgia Zone.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Every Word Means No' by Let's Active & 'Escape From Planet Earth' by The Alleycats
Second ad break bumpers: 'Running Up That Hill' by Kate Bush & 'Freak' by Bruce Foxton
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment