12.23.2018

dimland radio 12-22-18 show notes


A Correction
 
I started the show by correcting a mistake I while talking about the Voyager 2 spacecraft entering interstellar space. While doing so I mentioned that both of the Voyagers had left the solar system. This is wrong. The two spacecraft, although billions of miles from the sun, are still feeling its influence. Not as much, but it's still there.
 
They have left the heliosphere, a bubble of influence filled with solar particles and magnetic fields created by our sun, but not the solar system. The two spacecraft have another 30,000 years of traveling ahead of them until they actually do leave it.

NASA has more information here.

A Tale Of Two Police Detainments

Professor Steve Locke, who teaches at the Massachusetts College of Art and Design, wrote of an encounter he had with the police over his lunch hour recently. As I read his story, I was reminded of a police detainment I experienced in the early 1990s. The two stories matched up almost point for point.

There were some differences.

One major difference is Professor Locke is an African-American. I am not.

I talk about the differences and I have a couple quibbles, but overall his story is very eye opening.

Holmes & Watson Looks...HORRIBLE.

You see? Modern references in a movie set in the Victorian Era. That's funny. Right?
I've been seeing loads of clips for the new comedy Holmes & Watson on my Facebook page. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are pairing up again for a comedic take on the great detective and his friend.
 
It looks like it will be a steaming pile of shit.
 
Traditionally clips and trailers for comedies contain some of the best and funniest gags in he film to entice people to see the movie. I've seen several clips now. Not one of the is remotely funny.
 
At least not to me. Comedy is very subjective, but I'm guessing by this heavy bombardment of clips the studio is pushing for a big opening weekend, because once audiences see it the word will get out that it's a steaming pile of... 
 
Well, you get the idea.
 
But, hey, I could be wrong.
 
Three Cool Things

1) The Christmas Comet has made a swing through the neighborhood again. This time it was the closest to us it has been or will be in centuries. Way cool!
 
2) When Penny Marshall died, which wasn't cool, the NY Daily News mentioned, apparently incorrectly, that she had been the "before" girl in an ad for a beauty product in which Farrah Fawcett was the "after" girl. Well, I couldn't find that ad, but I did find a TV commercial for Head & Shoulders shampoo featuring Marshall and Fawcett as roommates.

And there's not much that is cooler than seeing a young, vibrant Farrah Fawcett again. For me anyway.
 
My drawing for the challenge of snowman. Do you get it?
3) I've been invited to participate in another daily drawing challenge. This one is in honor of Christmas and it's only five days, but it's cool. #5GoldenDrawRingsforChristmas
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Silver And Gold' by Burl Ives & 'Christmastime Is Here' by The Vince Guaraldi Trio
Second ad break bumpers: 'Let It Show' by Bing Crosby & 'Holly Jolly Christmas' by Burl Ives
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment