12.30.2018

dimland radio 12-29-18 show notes


It Looks Like I May Be Right
 
It still doesn't look funny.
Last week I discussed the possibility that the new comedy Holmes And Watson is like it might not do well at the box office. That it looked awful.

As of this writing, Box Office Mojo is reporting that the film, released Christmas Day has only grossed $15 million. The way the studio was pushing the opening day to be big. It doesn't seem to have worked.

Rotten Tomatoes has this steaming pile of bad movie listed at a 9% positive rating from critics and 28% from the general audience. Both numbers are up two points from when I did the show, so maybe there's hope.

Nah, it looks like crap.

Enhance! Huh. That Didn't Work

I'm surprised those arms could lift a pencil.
I found an old Polaroid of me from my art school days. And, boy, do I look like quite the specimen of manhood. Right down to the pin arms.
 
I'm not exactly certain what year this picture was taken, just that it was sometime between 1983 and 1986. Those were my art school years.
 
There is, however, a calendar in the picture. If only I could enhance that area as is done so often on TV and in movies. I mention a particular episode of Columbo in which the enhance option was used. However, when I blew up that section it just became a blob.
 
Enhanced.
More enhanced.
If the information in the image isn't there at the original size, all the enhancement in the world will make it appear.

This Comic Book Has A Crazy Story
Ms. Marvel is the woman in black under the two of 200.
I won't go into it in full detail here, but I told the tale of a crazy story of potential incest. It's crazy and none of the creative staff considered the story's deeper connotations.

I blogged about it at Warehouse Find, the official blog of Nostalgia Zone. You can read it here.
 
A Dimland Radio Pedantic Moment: How Many Bullets?
 

I recently rewatched Tombstone (1993) and noticed that during the gunfight at the OK Corral segment Doc Holliday fired off far more bullets and slugs than his firearms could hold and there was no time to reload. Watch the scene and count for yourself. How many do you count?

Three Cool Things

1) The New Horizons space probe, having passed by Pluto three years ago, is already nearly a billion miles past the dwarf planet. It's astounding! And it will be encountering another far flung object in the Kuiper Belt: Ultima Thule. Science is so cool!

2) I just finished watching the Black Mirror series on Netflix. It's an excellent, if awfully dark and, at times, gruesome, series. And its most recent season (not the new movie) has provided viewers with strong female lead characters. That's cool.
 
 
3) I've been invited to participate in an art show at a local record store. The task was to make some art out of n existing album cover. Above is the album I used. Below is what I did with it.


Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'New Day Rising' by Husker Du & 'New Dreams' by Naked Raygun
Second ad break bumpers: 'New World Man' by Rush & 'New Year's Day' by U2
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment