2.24.2019

dimland radio 2-23-19 show notes



Jury Duty

I completed two weeks of my civic duty to serve as a juror in Ramsey County. This was my third (and hopefully last) opportunity to provide this service. I mean, come on! Three times?!

Of the three times, I had served as a juror on a criminal case in my first call to service and I sat for a week not getting on a jury the second time. This time I got on a civil case and it took the better part of two weeks. Despite needing to blow through my paid personal days and six of my vacation days, I found this jury duty fascinating. And I might a group of very nice and interesting people.

I did my best to give a brief accounting of what the case was about and how the other jurors and I came to our verdict.

Snow, So Much Snow

I often say that winter gets to me long about February. Usually by then I've had enough of the cold and the snow. And it's been the snowiest February on record for Minnesota.

So, it's February. And I'm tired of winter.

Three, No, Four Cool Things About Jury Duty

1) No phone interruptions! It was so nice to be able to focus on one task for those two weeks.
Interesting exterior, but the inside is quite impressive.
2) The Ramsey County Courthouse/St. Paul City Hall building is damn impressive. All kinds of stone and marble and wood, and plenty of gold leaf make this building an Art Deco wonder. It's very impressive.
Vision Of Peace
3) The Vision Of Peace statue. Standing at 36 feet and weighing 60 tons this statue that is a tribute to peacefully setting conflicts is awesome. I went to look at as often as I could. If you are ever in St. Paul, you ought to take the time and visit this building and check out that amazing statue. Here's a video focusing on the Vision Of Peace.

4) One the third floor, there is a memorial to the USS Ward, the ship that fired the first American shots of World War II. And my family lived next door to one of the fellows who served on that ship and his name is on the plaque of names honoring the men who started our fight back against the enemy. The video link in item 3 has a moment that focuses on the USS Ward.

A Dimland Radio Pedantic Moment: The Seven-Ups (1973)

Roy Scheider stars in this gritty cop drama (which features an excellent car chase) as the leader of an undercover group that would use tactics that might stretch legality to the breaking point. In fact, there's a scene in which his character "tortures" a bad guy in a hospital bed for information by removing the oxygen tubes from his nose.

The bad guy would gasp for air, desperate to breathe.

Except, those little tubes that go up the nose don't provide that much oxygen. I consulted with a friend who is physician's assistant and she let me know that removing those tubes wouldn't do much to bother a patient. If a patient needed a larger dose of oxygen, they would be wearing a mask not using those little tubes.

Movie Recommendation: Look Who's Back (2015)

Part Network (1976), part Borat (2006), Look Who's Back is a dark satire produced in Germany that imagines what it would be like if Adolf Hitler somehow, instead of dying in 1945, was transported to the present day.

It's pretty dark and, at times, very funny. It's an intriguing thought experiment. It's streaming (not for free) on Netflix. Check it out.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'I Want You Back' by Hoodoo Gurus & 'Grass' by XTC
Second ad break bumpers: 'Hiding Out' by Pete Townshend & 'Talent Show' by The Replacements
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment