2.10.2019

dimland radio 2-9-19 show notes



I'm So Tired 

Winter weather has a way of sapping all of your energy. Here in Minnesota we had the super-cold brought to the Upper Midwest thanks to an attack by the Polar Vortex, which was then followed by snow. All that shoveling and my snowblower is on the fritz, ugh.
 
My poor Soul in all that horrible snow.
So, from Thursday evening on through Friday night with all the clearing of snow, getting a van out of a ditch, and finally cleaning two buildings, I was pretty pooped when I recorded the show.
 
I talked about how the national news media seems to concentrate on Chicago when these extreme cold events take place in the Upper Midwest, despite the fact it was colder in the Twin Cities, but before I get too selfish in my suffering I must remember those poor folks in California. The headline to the article here made me laugh. As it was intended to.
 
Puts things in perspective, doesn't it?
Superbowl? What Superbowl? Um. The One That Was Played By The LA Rams And New England Patriots, Duh
 
There were plenty of people disappointed by Superbowl 50-whatever, because there wasn't much offense. The game was tied at 3 points going into the 4th quarter (soccer fans must have loved the game though), before the Patriots pulled away. But, until then it was either team's game to win.
 
A defensive struggle doesn't make it a bad game.
 
Congratulations to New England. That's quite a dynasty there.
 
Is It Blackface Or Just Soot


An article on the internets received a resounding "Aw, come on!" by folks on social media recently. A screen shot of an article headline and photo (see above) was shared on Facebook and people were outraged at the suggestion. They thought the professor was just looking to be offended.
 
Although, I am inclined to agree there was no blackface per se, I did follow the advice I gave to the upset internet crowd. I read the article and there is something to what the academic claimed. You can read the article here and learn about Hottentots here.
 
My advice to Facebook.
 
I Don't Care For Musicals

In general, I don't care much for musicals. I guess it's my pedantic nature. "How does everyone know the lyrics and all the dance steps?" So, when I talked about that possibly, inadvertently racist blackface number in Mary Poppins, I was reminded of the last time I watched that movie.
 
 

It was many years ago, when my nephew was just a boy. Mary Poppins was on TV and we watched it and that number came on. It was the song and dance number called Step In Time. It's a call and response sort of thing. Dick Van Dyke's character would call out a phrase and the chimney sweeps would sing it back and dance all over the rooftops of Old London.
 
The routine is rather long. It got very tedious for me. That may be why I don't care for musicals. The song and dance numbers just slow down the story. For me anyway.
 
Hmmm. I think I might not have gotten to lyrics exactly right.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Desperately' by Don Williams & 'Say Goodbye' by Hunters & Collectors
Second ad break bumpers: 'I Want The One I Can't Have' by The Smiths & 'Final Solution' by Peter Murphy
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment