4.06.2019

dimland radio 4-6-19 show notes


Our Spring Visitors Have Returned

Our roof is one of their favorite spots.
A sure sign of spring in our part of the neighborhood is the yearly visit of a pair of mallard ducks. The male and female have been making their appearance for at least the last four years, probably more. Nice to see the again.

Is It Art?


It is funny that these people appear to think a pair of eyeglasses is a piece of art. And it's clear the intent of this meme is to make these art patrons look silly. It may also be a commentary on the state of art.
 
But, step back. Take in the whole thing - the glasses and the reaction to them - and I think the moment itself becomes art. It's performance art with performers who don't realize they are part of the art.
 
Well, art is subjective and sometimes hard to define. I choose to chuckle at this and still think of it as art.

Of course, the whole thing could be a put on.
 
Angry Nerds Already Hate Joker


I just don't understand the knee-jerk hatred of the upcoming film Joker. It's DC Comic's greatest villain and this movie looks like we'll get the origin story of the Clown Prince of Crime. I think it looks intriguing.
 
Some "fans" couldn't wait to go on record with their hate for a movie that won't be released to theaters until October. It's no longer good enough to wait to see the movie and then think about it for a while and then jump on the "I hate it" bandwagon. As was done with Star Wars The Force Awakens. Nor is it long enough wait until immediately after seeing the movie to announce to the world that your childhood had been destroyed.
 
Nope, now we have to jump on the "I hate it" bandwagon mere moments after watching the teaser trailer! "Joaquin Phoenix?! That's not who I'd cast!! This movie is going to suck!"
 
I just don't get it.
 
To be fair, along with the "I hate it" response were responses by those who just weren't impressed by the trailer. They thought it looked bland. I think they might be willing to give it a chance.
 
Here's an idea: How about we wait until the movie has been released before we start hating it?

Movie Recommendation: Mandy (2018)


Yes, I know Nicolas Cage can be a bit over-the-top in many of his films and that can be off-putting, but I think he's really good in this revenge thriller from last year. His character's wife meets a tragic end and those who brought that end meet a tragic end of their own.
 
Visually this movie is stunning. It has the feel of a '70s exploitation film. My wife loved it.
 
It's very violent. It's very trippy. And it's worth your time.

Three Cool Things

 
1) I wish I could say I thought of the image (above) as a reaction to President Trump's windmill opposition and conspiracy-mongering. I didn't. But I love it. It's cool.

2) Related to the Townshend image, what else is cool is the skeptical reaction on Facebook to the claim that windmill noise causes cancer.
 
3) Baseball is back and in full swing (pun!), so in keeping with the last couple of weeks of cool things, here's another baseball related one. When the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome ceased being the home of the Minnesota Twins a TV special was made commemorating the Top 100 Metrodome Memories. I found all 100 of them on YouTube. Check 'em out here.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'In The Flat Field' by Bauhaus & 'Night Time' by Killing Joke
Second ad break bumpers: 'Talk Talk' by Talk Talk & '(The) One Thing' by INXS
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment