3.17.2013

dimland radio 3-16-13 show notes


Some Notes On Athletes

I started off talking about various aspects of sports that keep me bothered and/or curious: the athlete's drone, Dick Vitale's over-the-top excitement, athletes getting jacked up before a game, etc.

In the course of my curiousness I committed an error.  I mentioned 'Red Tails' the 2012 film about African American fighter pilots in World War II, but I mistakenly called it 'Red Wings'.  I must have been thinking about hockey.  Whoops.
 
It's Not True: The Sugar Rush

Recently, my son was talking about his day at school.  There was some consumption of sugary confections and at least one of his classmates claimed to be having a major sugar rush.  I took the opportunity to look into this sugar rush thing and found it's not true.
 
Check here and here and you'll see for yourself.
 
The Goonies

I told the tale of having never seen the 1985 children's classic, 'The Goonies', and how I had resolved to never see it.  But having a nine year-old made me break the resolution.

It's not as awful as I thought it would be.  In fact, I found it amusing and my son enjoyed it a lot.

But, for a family film, it sure has plenty of s-bombs dropped throughout.  I found that surprising, so bear it in mind when watching it with your kids.
 
I also talked about suspending one's disbelief when watching such films.  This one does stretch that ability quite a bit, but I just accepted it and enjoyed the movie.  There was one aspect that I couldn't abide that involved bicycle tires. 
 
The Most Commercially Successful Movie Of All Time

The easy demonstration when making this case would be to go with the inflation-adjusted box office take, which clearly shows the 'Gone With The Wind' (1939) is the ranking box office champ.  I dug in a little deeper and figured out approximately how many tickets the movie sold in its initial run.  Assuming I did my math right and the information I could find was accurate, the numbers are astounding!
 
I compiled the info through the websites Box Office Mojo, MovieWeb, Wikipedia, and US News & World Report.  I looked at the box office take, average ticket price in 1939, and US population for 1939.  Using those sites, I came up with the approximate number of tickets sold...

You'll just have to listen to the show from the archive.

Movie Recommendation: Gone With The Wind (1939)
 
MGM

Well, what other movie would I recommend after talking so much about this movie and its astounding numbers?  Not only was it commercially successful, it was also a pretty good movie.  It's well over three hours long, but it is worth it.

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'One At A Time' by The Who & 'Cig Machine' by The Suburbs
Second ad break bumpers: 'The Passenger' by Siouxsie & the Banshees 'Since You're Gone' by The Cars
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment