3.10.2013

dimland radio 3-9-13 show notes


Another Round Of Pictures

Who came up with the idea of doing two rounds of school pictures each year?  The first round for the class picture and yearbook, the second appears to be a pure money grab.  Does that seem cynical of me?  Perhaps.
Deer Antler Snake Oil Spray

Apparently, there's another ancient Chinese secret for enhancing athletic ability.  It's deer antler spray and, like other such products, it hasn't been shown to work.  That doesn't stop the NFL and other sports organizations from banning it nor athletes from using it. Ray Lewis defensive player (now retired) for the Superbowl champions, Baltimore Ravens, has been accused of using it.  If he wasn't denying using it, I'm sure he'd be touting how well it works.  The placebo effect does that.

I also remarked on how the banning of this snake oil (actually what is banned is the hormone IGF-1 which is found in the antlers) is being used as a selling point in the radio ads I've been hearing lately.  They suggest that the stuff works so well that sports organizations have banned it.  They don't mention that the banning might be because the stuff has adverse effects on the user.  Or that it is probably snake oil and doesn't work.

More On The Replacements and SIT80s

I went on again about The Replacements and my still upcoming guest bloggering on the Stuck In The 80s blog.  The blog thing hasn't happened yet and I've already put in my second installment.  I'll let you now when it's in.
I did have to defend my choice of The Replacements to Steve Spears the fellow who runs the blog.  He thought The Replacements were pretty well-known.  I explained how few records they had sold in the thirty plus years since their first release and Steve was convinced.

Don Vogel, Chris Mars, Embarrassing Moment And Redemption

I've mentioned Don Vogel before on my show.  He was a talk radio show host who was very talented and funny.  I listened to him every afternoon back in the 90s.  I learned through the show that Chris Mars, drummer for The Replacements, was a fan as well.

One day, I was at the Minnesota State Fair watching Don do his show live, when I spotted Chris in the crowd.  Star-struck, apparently, I couldn't stop myself from telling Don and his co-host, T D Mischke, that Chris was there.

Update!  I forgot to link to the examples of Don Vogel's impression work when I originally posted these notes.  Don doing Howard Cosell and Richard Nixon.


They invited Chris in and had a chat.  I was so embarrassed.  Years later I met a fellow named Dave, who is a friend of Chris, and, well, for the rest of this small world story you'll need to listen to the show.  You can get it from the archives.

Movie Recommendation: The Man Who Would Be King (1975)

United Artists
Directed by John Huston, this Rudyard Kipling adventure is a lot of fun.  Sean Connery and Micheal Caine play two retiring British soldiers who use there soldiering skills to take over an entire country.  Connery's character lets events get to his head and... You'll need to watch it. 

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Lullaby' by The Cure & 'After The Lights Go Out' by The Urban Guerrillas
Second ad break bumpers: '55 - The Law' by The Screaming Blue Messiahs & 'From The Air' by Laurie Anderson
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment