3.03.2013

dimland radio 3-2-13 show notes


After The Beep Remember There's No God

Having encountered voice mail answering messages wishing me to have a God blessed day, I speculated using an equally unsolicited message stating there is no God.  I also talked about the fact the one's place of birth and rearing has a strong bearing on which faith one will follow.
 
Wind Turbines Making People Sick?

I spotted a news item on the Fox News website reporting on a Massachusetts couple claiming that a nearby pair of wind turbines were causing them illness and discomfort.  The article alluded to other people complaining, but only named the one couple.  Their discomfort was headaches, dizziness, and sleeplessness.  It would get so bad they would have to leave the area for some relief.
 
It seems to me that the troubles the couple are having come from their minds and not from the wind turbines.  I'm no expert, but I have no idea how the massive fan blades give off a "pulse" that gets into the "tubular organs" and causes havoc.

This may just back a new tactic of the "not in my backyard" crowd who just don't like wind turbines.

The Fox article is here.
 
The Replacements and SIT80s

I talked a bit about one of the best bands to never make it, Minneapolis's The Replacements.  I brought them up because they are going to be the first artist featured in my guest blog series, Never Found in the 80s, on the Stuck in the 80s blog.
 
I'll be focusing on musical artists who never achieved mainstream charting success in the 80s.  The Mats definitely missed the charts.  They were greatly loved by the critics, other bands, and the fans they did have but they just never made it big.  And knowing the band's attitude toward commercial success, that's pretty much just the way they wanted it.

My first installment of Never Found in the 80s will likely be posted this week sometime.
Jin Shin Jyutsu Does What Now?

Another news item I spotted on the internets.  It's a credulous article of an ancient Japanese energy manipulation technique that sounds a bit fishy to me.  Not quite the same as the hand waving technique of therapeutic touch, jin shin jyutsu actually involves physically touching the subject.

It just seems like a bunch of unsubstantiated claims to me.  Patients receiving chemotherapy get a chance to lie quietly while someone soothingly
and gently touches and strokes various parts of their body.  Different parts of the body relieves different ailments.  (They didn't say, but my guess is that touching the naughty bits costs extra.)

But isn't that just the placebo effect?  And shouldn't the doctors lauding this treatment know that?

Here is the article and this is a video about this placebo effect inducing technique.

Movie Recommendation: Color Me Obsessed (2012)
 

More on The Replacements.  Look!  They were just that good!  Sue me if you think I'm going on about them too much.
 
Anyway, after I wrote and submitted my piece on this commercially overlooked band, I stumbled upon a two hour documentary about them.  The documentary is available online for free.  It may not be available for long, so you'd better check it out.

I'm glad I found the film.  Not just because it was good to see people talking about this excellent band, but it also provided me with valuable information on just how little commercial success they had.  That information was instrumental in my convincing the main blogger of SIT80s, Steve Spears, that The Replacements would be a good start for my Never Found in the 80s series.
 
YouTube has the film right here.

Music heard on the show (Whenever Possible, I Will Link To The Song)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Talent Show' & 'Can't Hardly Wait' by The Replacements
Second ad break bumpers: 'Anywhere's Better Than Here' & 'Skyway' by The Replacements
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment