6.09.2013

dimland radio 6-8-13 show notes


No New Mic Yet
 
In my on-going attempt to improve my show, I had sent away for a new microphone.  It arrived.  It appears that it doesn't work.  So, another new one is on the way.  I'll keep you posted.
 
It's Not True: Dove's Viral Ad
 
You may have seen the internet ad produced by Dove, maker of soap, moisturizers, and chocolate (not sure on that last one)?  With nearly 55 million views on YouTube, it certainly has been seen by many.  Well, the ad tells women that they are more beautiful than they think.
 
To demonstrate that, Dove had a forensic artist do two sketches of women, one based on their self-description and a second based on the description of someone who had just met them.  The strangers' descriptions consistently are more flattering.

Well, according to science that's not true.  People tend to think of themselves as looking better than they actually are.
 
Read more about it here and watch the Dove viral ad here.

Quick Tear Open The Walls 
 
Yet again an example of something that didn't happen to me that I wish would have.  A fellow in Minnesota (Hey! I'm in Minnesota!) was renovating an old house when he tore out an old wall and found, mixed in with the newspapers used as insulation, an old comic book.  It was Action Comics number 1, the first appearance of Superman!
 
As I recorded this show the current high bid was $141,000!
 
Pedantic Moment:  Local News Pandering To The Locals 
 
I gave a couple examples of local TV news shows advertising themselves by saying how the local folks are so above average.  "People around here say what the mean and mean what they say."  "Minnesotans always do the right thing."
 
Sure they do.
 
You Know What I Miss? 
 
I miss glass Coca-Cola bottles and Old Spice bottles.  The Coke bottles have been plastic for a long time, but just recently I replaced my empty Old Spice aftershave and the new one was plastic!  What is the world coming to?
 
The Pope Said What Now? 
 
Pope Francis I seems to have said that atheists can go to heaven by doing good for others.  You mean the idea the one does not get to heaven by deeds alone is wrong?  So if you don't have to believe in a god, but are an otherwise good and moral person helpful to others you can get to heaven?  Is that what he was saying?

If so, why believe?
 

Movie Recommendation: My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
 
Studio Ghibli

My family has recently discovered the excellence that is Studio Ghibli, the Japanese animation studio that has churned out fantastic feature animated films.  So, far we have enjoyed each film we've seen by them.  My Neighbor Totoro is a terrific fantasy film following two young girls and their new friend Totoro, the large Cheshire Cat-like creature who is somehow creepy and inviting at the same time.  Well, worth your time.

Music heard on the show (These songs are linked above)...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'I'm In Trouble' by The Replacements & 'Back O' The Moon' by 10,000 Maniacs
Second ad break bumpers: 'Spring Came' by The Suburbs & 'Man On The Corner' by Genesis
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment