2.23.2015

dimland radio 2-21-15 show notes

 
Another Loss

Another person of some significance to me passed away this past Tuesday. It was my old boss, Harry. A fellow for whom I had worked since 1989 and played cribbage with for the better part of the last seven years. Harry had become a friend.

I talked about working for him, his run-ins with gas station clerks, his failing health, the funeral, and, of course, cribbage playing.

I will miss Harry very much. 

Insulin Fail

While Harry was fighting the pneumonia to which he ultimately succumbed; my dad also had pneumonia. In addition to pneumonia, he had strep throat, but he did recover. While he was at his worst, my mom had me come over to help her give Dad his insulin shot.

We didn't get it quite right. Dad is ok. We didn't kill him.

Never Found In The 80s: Valentine's Edition

For Valentine's Day, I did a special edition of Never Found in the 80s. I featured five Never Found artists and their love songs. It can be found at the Stuck in the 80s blog. Click here.

Movies! Movies! Movies!

I decided to talk some movies. Three in particular which I had just seen recently: Notorious, Big Trouble in Little China, and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

Notorious is a Hitchcock classic that I will say more about in my movie recommendation section below.

Big Trouble in Little China was better than I expected. It had an unnecessary cold open, a character who said the lead character's name about 100 times throughout the movie, and the end credit song was awful. But, I was able to suspend my disbelief enough to enjoy this crazy bunch of fun.

Bill & Ted, however, I just couldn't get past how dumb it was. I didn't buy in, so every dumb thing that happened just added to my dislike of the movie. Dudes! I totally should have first seen it at age 15, not 50.

Mini Dick Van Dyke Show Rant

We watched the first two episodes of The Dick Van Dyke Show recently. The show is a classic sit-com. One of the best of all time. It is also of its time. Very sweet, innocent, and naive.

I mentioned that both episodes alluded to a doctor making housecalls. When did that stop happening, I wonder.

I had a certain sympathetic reaction to Rob's (Dick Van Dyke) return home from a rough day at the office and being set upon by his eight year-old son.
 
Movie Recommendation: Notorious (1946)

RKO Radio Pictures
An Alfred Hitchcock suspense thriller classic involving post-war activities of Nazis hiding in Brazil. It stars Ingrid Bergman, Cary Grant and Claude Rains. Bergman and Grant are especially good. Hitchcock keeps the suspense building through the film.

It's a classic. Check it out!
 
Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus
First ad break bumpers: 'Under Pressure' by Queen & 'Ace of Spades' by Motorhead
Second ad break bumpers: 'Mayor of Simpleton' By XTC & 'Skyway' by The Replacements
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle
 
That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment