10.26.2015

dimland radio 10-24-15 show notes

Really? I Mean - REALLY?

I started the show a bit hot under the collar.
 
I like baseball and this is the best time of the year for the game. It's the postseason and I try to catch as much of the games as possible. BUT, the local ESPN Radio affiliate believes it's better to run local programming or University of Minnesota Gopher Hockey rather than some of the postseason games.
 
Each of the games in baseball at this time of the year truly count and the Gophers are early enough in their season that one could miss a game or two, but, nope, gotta preempt baseball. It's probably a contractual thing.
 
Still. I WANT BASEBALL! Not local talk or college hockey. Sheesh.

Tales From The Janitorial Side

Oh, I know what you think: Janitorial is nothing but joy-filled, totally rewarding, and appreciated evenings of cleaning offices. Well, it's not. It's mostly thankless work that usually has you hearing from customers only when they complain.
 
I gave a few examples of the travails of a janitorial service provider. There were a couple positive stories, but those are fairly rare. 
 
Don't Just Read Headlines!

Headlines are tricky things. They are meant to get people to read the article. Or, at least, that's what they should be about. But, I noticed an unbelievable headline to the affect that Donald Trump would close mosques in the US if he's elected president.
 
That seemed a little outlandish even for Trump, so I read the article. Trump was being interviewed on FoxBusiness by Stuart Varney. Varney asked if Trump would do some of the things the British government is debating about doing to fight terrorism and ISIS. Varney mentioned two actions: Revoking some passports and closing some mosques. Trump indicated he might do that, although he did back away from closing some mosques when asked about religious freedom.
 
My problem? It was some mosques. Some not all. To me many of the headlines appeared to just give the impression that Trump wants to close all mosques in the US. Perhaps I'm splitting hairs, but not by much, because the comments I've seen on Facebook sure indicate that those who dislike Trump believe that's what he wants to do.
 
Read the article, damn it!

I Didn't Care For 'Whiplash'

My opinion was likely influenced by George Hrab's absolute excoriating of the highly rated, Oscar winning film 'Whiplash'. Geo is a musician and son of two teachers and he found technical errors and many other problems with the movie. His biggest beef was with what he called lazy script-writing.
 
So, as I said, my opinion was probably affected, but Adam Carolla and, Carolla sidekick, "Bald" Bryan Bishop raved about the movie. Bryan said it was the best film he'd see in the last 10 years, while Geo said it was the worst he'd seen in 10 to 15 years.
 
It appears I value Geo's opinion more than Bryan's; because, although I didn't hate it as much as Geo, I thought it was pretty meh. JK Simmons was very good in his Oscar winning performance of an egotistical, domineering, sadistic, abusive, cruel, terrorizing asshole of a music teacher at an elite music college. I think even without Geo's influence I would have great difficultly believing the man would keep his job for long with throwing chairs at and slapping students as he does in the movie.
 
Watch it if you like. It's up to you.

Movie Recommendations: None
 
Ran out of time, so you're on your own this week.

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Take It Away' by Paul McCartney & 'America Is Waiting' by Brian Eno & David Byrne
Second ad break bumpers: 'Head Over Heels' by The Go Go's &  'The Unguarded Moment' By The Church
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com
 
You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment