2.03.2018

dimland radio 2-3-18 show notes



Tales Of Art School

Every now and again I go full self-indulgent and wax on about some topic or topics that might just be interesting to me. I may have done that the first half of this show.

I got to thinking about my art school days. I talk about a very bad teacher and my desktop doodling. The tales involve German Expressionist Otto Dix and freedom of expression. And there's a bit of how context informs content. 

A Dimland Radio ARGH! 

According to the internets, I'm not the only one who lets out an "argh!" when seeing a certain ad for Apple's iPad Pro. The ad follows a 14 year old girl as she spends her day on her iPad Pro. She chats with friends, writes a blog, makes art, etc. At the end, she's laying on the grass in her back yard and typing away on her tablet.

A nice neighbor lady comes out and asks, "What are you doing on your computer?"

That's when it happens.

"What's a computer?" is how the little shit responds!

ARRRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!! 

10 Things A Facebook Friend Thinks Are True 

A Facebook friend (more like acquaintance) had posted 10 things he claimed to know were true. The ten things reflected his skeptical nature and his atheism. I thought I'd give my impressions on what he "knows" is true.

I agreed with much of what he stated, but I did express a certain agnosticism on a few items. 

I mentioned an InFact video on two simple proofs humans are causing global warming. Here's the link to it.


Top Three Cool Things Of The Week

Here's Three Cool Things from this week.

3) Sometimes, at the comic book store, we get a customer who is just so sincerely excited to be getting a particular comic, that we can't help but feel good about it. It was his first purchase of an early issue of Amazing Spider-Man drawn by his favorite artist: Steve Ditko.

2) The issue that customer bought had a really good cover. I noted to myself to remember it for my monthly examination of great covers in my blog for the store. I mentioned the blog to the customer and he let me know that he reads it! His enthusiasm was so heartening, I told him I would write about that cover for February's great cover installment.

1) I have an art commission! A friend asked me to draw Marvel's swamp creature, Man-Thing. He's leaving the design to my discretion and he'll pay me for it!

Movie Recommendation: Singin' In The Rain (1952)


Yep. A musical. Normally, I'm not much of a fan of musicals, but a friend encouraged me to watch this one. I liked it. The song and dance numbers didn't slow the story down, which is one of my problems with most other musicals.

I talked about the skill level of the performers, the directors (the star Gene Kelly also co-directed the movie), and the crew needed to pull off those elaborate production numbers. Very impressive. 

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Go!' by Tones On Tail & 'All That Jazz' by Echo & the Bunnymen
Second ad break bumpers: 'I Apologize' by Husker Du & 'New World Man' by Rush
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment