8.18.2019

dimland radio 8-17-19 show notes


A Dimland Radio ARGH!

I think I have ARGHed about some of this before, but I was fired up again, so I just let it rip.
 
When listening to podcasts, there are things hosts do that tend to annoy me. One thing that some do is drink drinks with ice in the glass and the tinkity-tinkity-tink sounds get on my nerves.
 
And there's another thing some podcasters do that makes me grit my teeth. They call the little talk at the top of the show that is unrelated to the main topic or guest their "Maron Open". The Maron Open is named for Marc Maron whose wildly successful podcast WTF, started in 2009, has him giving a little talk at the beginning of each show, then he brings on his guest.
 
I'm telling you, it seems each generation thinks they've invented the wheel. Marc Maron did not invent the show opening anecdote. It goes way, way back. In fact, Jack Paar used to do it in the late 1950s. I kid you not!
 
What really set me off was a thing that is done on every goddamn episode of the My Favorite Murder podcast. MFM is a true crime podcast (also wildly successful) hosted by Georgia Hardstark and Karen Kilgariff, two funny women who are fascinated by true crime stories, each will tell the story of a murder, a serial killer, or some other story of survival or death. For the most part, it is a very entertaining podcast.
 
But then it happens. After their Jack Paar Open, they have to spend time figuring out which of the two goes first with her story. Every goddamn time! AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Figure that out BEFORE you start recording!
 
The Misidentified Owl Prophecies

On the most recent episode of MFM, Karen told the story of the Mothman sightings. Beginning in the fall of 1966 and through December 1967 in the rural area of West Virginia along the Ohio River, a series of sighting of a large winged man with glowing red eyes were making the news. The sightings took place at night and most were likely people mistaking owls for some mysterious creature.
 
The sightings stopped in the immediate aftermath of the collapse of Silver Bridge on December 15, 1967. The fact the sightings stopped after the tragedy that claimed 46 lives led to speculation that the "Mothman" was attempting to warn of the impending bridge collapse.
 
Or. The sightings stopped because claiming to have seen a giant flying man seemed silly after such a tragedy.
 
 
Yep, This Is Our President Part Two

As if talking about him for the better part of last week's show, I talked some more about the cluelessness of our president in relation to his visits with the hospital staff, first responders, and survivors of the most recent senseless mass shootings. Another photograph caught my attention and I think it is appalling. It shows the president with a big smile and a thumbs up while his wife, also smiling, holds a newly orphaned baby, whose parents were killing while sheltering the baby from a hail of bullets. Talk about tone deaf!
 
But, here's the more disturbing that, I have a friend who is a Trump supporter who attempted to spin the photo as a celebration of life. I have known this person from more than 25 years, and I can say with 98% certainty if it had been the Clintons in that picture he would have been livid.
 
This one doesn't bother me.
I also attempted to practice the principle of charity by comparing the orphan photo to another also showing the president with the smiling thumbs up pose, but this time it was with the hospital staff. That image doesn't bother me. It may be somewhat callous considering why he was at that hospital, but he is with the staff, not the victims. They are doing their jobs and the president is showing them his support. Even one of the staff members is giving a thumbs up.

This Product May Do Something...


Friend of the show and mine, Craig spotted this banner at a local festival. It's for the CBD oil that is all the over-hyped rage now. Look at all the uses of the weasel words "may" and "support". It just may do something or it may not.

YouTube Video Series Recommendation: Welcome To The Basement

My friend Craig also turned me onto Welcome To The Basement, a movie review series on YouTube. Hosted by Matt Sloan and Craig (a different Craig) Johnson, the two take a humorous, if sometimes corny, look at movies that Matt has never seen before. The hosts both seem like really nice fellows and their reviews are pretty good. Warning! There are spoilers.
 
Matt received 10 points for his stance on onscreen vomiting. He doesn't like it. Neither do I.
 
Oh, and 10 points to my friend for recommending this movie review series.
 
Check it out!

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Ronnie's Song' by Urban Guerrillas & 'You Lose' by The Replacements
Second ad break bumpers: 'Dream Reoccurring' by Husker Du & 'Only You' by Yaz
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment