11.03.2019

dimland radio 11-2-19 show notes


Baseball. One Last Time. (Until Next Season)

The 2019 World Series has concluded and the Washington Nationals are the champions of the baseball world. It was an entertaining series and one for the record books, because not one game was won by the home team. The series went all seven games with four in the Houston Astros' home park and three in the Nationals'. It has never happened in any American major sport that has a seven game championship series (baseball, basketball, and hockey) where the road team wins all seven games. Never.
 
It has happened where the home team wins all seven games. The Minnesota Twins did it in 1987 and 1991. (I mistakenly said 1992. Yikes! Everyone know the Toronto Blue Jays won the World Series in 1992. Duh!).
 
And now baseball is over. Sigh.
 
A Dimland Radio Pedantic Moment: But He Did Drop The Beer

It was in the top of the second inning of game five of the 2019 World Series when Yordan Alveraz of the Houston Astros hit a home run that just cleared the wall. A fan was returning to his seat, he had a can of Bud Light (some consider it to be beer and technically I suppose it is) in each hand, and he realized the ball was coming right at him. He didn't drop the beers or run for cover. He braced himself and the ball hit him in the chest then dropped to his feet.
 
He didn't spill a drop.
 
Until...
 
He went for the ball. His hands, filled with beer cans, dropped behind the wall as he and two other fans went for the ball.
 
Our hero came up with the ball. But not the beer.
 
A big deal (and a Bud Light commercial) was made out of his not dropping the beer when he was hit by the ball. And it was quite the sight to see, but the beer was eventually sacrificed, so he's not that much of a hero.
 
 

Inktober 2019. One Last Time. (Until Next October)
 
It came to an end on Halloween. The daily drawing challenge called Inktober was an enjoyable, if sometimes grueling (can drawing be grueling?), way to stretch my drawing muscles. I did pretty well to keep up, I even got ahead a few days when I was in the flow, but I did fall behind on the last day. It was part of the reason there was no show last week. It just got too busy.
 
I mentioned a few of the drawings and I thought you might like to see them. There was the prompt Treasure for which I drew Robert Newton as Long John Silver. (I even recommended watching the 1950 Disney classic Treasure Island.) The prompt Ancient brought the film The Exorcist (1973) to mind, which gave me the opportunity to join some others of the Inktober group in drawing naughty bits. And there was the prompt Dark, which I think inspired my best drawing of the month. I drew the hands of Boris Karloff as the monster in the Universal horror classic Frankenstein (1931).

I was really happy with those hands, but Facebook gave it a resounding "Meh." And then Facebook really seemed to like what I though was my weakest drawing of the month. It was for the prompt Injured that I drew a scene from the film Misery (1980). I just don't think it worked very well.

I also mentioned the final drawing of the month. The prompt word was Ripe and I went with a scene from the 1978 remake of the sci-fi horror classic Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Here are the drawings for your viewing pleasure:
 
Day 21:Treasure
 
Day 23: Ancient
 
Day 26: Dark

Day 29: Injured

Day 31: Ripe
 
It Ain't Easy Being A Skeptic

There is so much magical thinking and myth believing, and the spreading of such thinking, in the world it makes getting through the day as a skeptic difficult. My wife gets exasperated whenever I point out myths and errors in people's logic. "Can't you enjoy anything?!"
 
I gave a few examples.
 
There is no such thing as a sugar high.
 
Police detectives do not develop a sixth sense about when they will get called in on a case. It's called confirmation bias. They forget all the times they thought they might get called in and weren't, but remember the couple of occasions when their premonition proved correct.
 
And, no, Edgar Allan Poe was not thought of, at the time he died, having "a good long life" when he met his demise at age 40. 40 was not considered old in 1848, the year Poe died. It's true life expectancy at birth was approximately 38 years in those days, but that's because infant mortality rates were so high back then.
 
If a man lived to age 40 in 1850, as was about what Poe lived to be, his life expectancy was 66 years. No 40 year old in 1848 was considered old, except by kids maybe. People would having been saying the same thing we say today when we learn someone died at age 40:
 
"Too young."

Music heard on the show...

Dimland Radio opening theme song: 'Ram' by The Yoleus 
First ad break bumpers: 'Erica's Word' by Game Theory & 'Let's Get Married' by Celibate Rifles
Second ad break bumpers: 'Away' by The Feelies & 'Nothing Turns Out Right' by The Mighty Mofos
Closing song: 'Angler's Treble Hook' by $5 Fiddle

That's it! See you next Saturday night for Dimland Radio 11 Central, midnight Eastern on www.ztalkradio.com you can also download my show from the z talk show archives page. You can email your questions and comments to drdim@dimland.com

Please subscribe on iTunes! Just search for Dimland Radio in the podcast section. And if you could leave a good rating and a positive review it would be awesome.

You can also go to my CafePress store and buy stuff with my artwork on it and have me do a portrait for you if you like. Find out more here and here.

Images used under Fair Use.

No comments:

Post a Comment